Why Sell my Classic Car on Autotrader?
Reach over 3.9 million automotive enthusiasts per monthGet Started
Select your Ad Package
Frequently Asked Questions About Selling a Classic Car
How do I sell a classic car?+ −
The fastest way to sell a classic car online is to follow these four steps:
- Get your vehicle ready to be sold. Do any repairs, details, clean the car, and organize all the paperwork and records. Then take lots of high-quality photos.
- Set your price by assessing the market and demand for your classic vehicle.
- Write a detailed description and then list your car on Classics on Autotrader.
- Finalize the sale with the buyer and then transfer ownership.
Where do I sell a classic car?+ −Classics on Autotrader has the largest and most diverse classic car market online. Trusted and reputable classic car dealers and private collectors have been selling their classic vehicles with us since 2008.
What if I don’t have a title for my classic car?+ −Many states DMV’s can issue a replacement title if the vehicle doesn’t have one. Check with your local DMV for the exact cost and required forms. Depending on the age of the vehicle, it is possible your classic car or truck was never issued a title and if so, a Bill of Sale may be all you need as proof of ownership. Another option is to apply for and receive a bonded title if your state issues them.
What is my classic car worth?+ −The value of a classic car is determined by the demand of the market, past final sales and current prices, condition, and uniqueness. Kelley Blue Book, a popular valuation tool, only values vehicles dating back to the early 1990’s. This can make it difficult to rely on only one source to accurately value a classic car. There are several free classic car values guides you can use to help you get the value of your classic car.
What paperwork is recommended when selling a classic car?+ −
If your classic car is an antique, a muscle car, hot rod or an exotic, there are several documents you should have to sell it:
- Maintenance and service records
- Awards or special recognition (if applicable)
- Odometer disclosure (even if the odometer isn’t accurate)
- Vehicle title (if available)
- Bill of Sale
What scams could I encounter when privately selling my classic car?+ −
These are popular scams a fraudster may try to use:
- Forged or counterfeit money order, cashier’s check, or wire transfer
- Buyers who are overseas on a “business trip”
- Buyers who offer to pay via Venmo, gift card or other online money payment services
- Buyers who offer to pay above the vehicle’s asking price
- Offers which include the cost of shipping the vehicle (auto transport scam)
What if my classic car doesn’t have a Vehicle Identification Number (VIN)?+ −Even if there is no VIN, check the vehicle’s title. 17-digit VINs became standardized in 1981. You are not required to provide a VIN to sell a vehicle using Classics on Autotrader.