1985 Jeep CJ 7
SUV Car for sale in Santa Monica, California 90404-1597
Santa Monica, CA 90404-1597
From around 1956 until the mid 1980s, Dodge, Plymouth and even Chrysler squads were the most ubiquitous police cars in North America. In fact, the biggest department, the NYPD, used Plymouth and Dodge squads almost exclusively until the rear-drive M body car was finally axed in 1989.
The no-frills Savoy two-door sedan was home to another engine of considerable repute, the infamous 413 Max Wedge, a Super Stock monster block Chrysler introduced in the spring of 1962.
Classic Car Overview
1985 Jeep CJ-7 - One owner (the car belonged to my parents) and rust-free Jeep in terrific condition. This Jeep has been babied over its lifetime, and has spent most of that in a garage - although it was used as a short commuter from 1985 to maybe 1995. The paint, which is in great condition, is original. There are no suspension modifications, monster truck tires/upgrades, etc. If you're looking for a CJ that is pretty much what you would have bought from the showroom, this is it. In the last couple years I've had the Jeep, I've done the following:
- Replaced the Carter factory carb with a Howell EFI throttle body (legal in all 50 states). This was a huge performance improvement, and also replaces (as part of the upgrade kit) the speed sensor, fuel pump, oxygen sensor, and other parts. You can read more about it at howellefi.com.
- Replaced the stock distributor with an HEI distributor and wires from DUI (performancedistributors.com). Another great upgrade for performance.
- Replaced vapor canister
- New battery
- New Retrosound stereo. This upgrade came with knobs that look like the original AM/FM stereo, which is kind of cool. The other bonus being that it fits into the stock opening for the stereo, and you don't have to cut it as so many Jeep owners have done. It also supports bluetooth and direct 3.5mm connect. I installed new marine speakers as well. If you're an audiophile, you may want to add an amp to this setup.
My dad also replaced the catalytic converter and muffler with Flowmaster a few years back. They still look new, as the Jeep is not driven very much.
I will also include the ODB1-to-USB connector which is pretty cool as you can connect the ECM to your laptop and view all the emissions info and codes real-time.
This is really a great Jeep and runs very well. It's very unique and hard to find something of this caliber. I also have additional photographs of the chassis, wheel wells, differential, and others showing the condition of the body here: https://www.dropbox.com/sh/e6ddlkor8fa9gvp/AACWJy322NgxB8ja5SVpbHOxa?dl=0
Here's what it needs:
- You will want to replace the carpet with something else. It still has the original carpet kit. You can replace with carpet, or they make several after-market options (rubber, etc.)
-The fuel gauge does not work. I suspect it's the sending unit, not the actual gauge. I currently just keep an eye on the mileage to know when it's time to fill up.
- The clock does not work.
- The drivers side seat should probably be re-upholstered due to it being worn out where you get in and out of the car. The other seats are fine.
That's all I can think of that's "wrong" with it. There are other project-type things I would do to it if I were keeping the car.
Please message me if you're interested in discussing further.
Vehicle History Report
Classic Car ID101468175
ConditionThe mountains are calling!
Drivetrain4 wheel drive
Classic Car Buyer's Tools
Immediately receive a quote to get your new classic car delivered right to your driveway from Autotrader’s trusted Classic Transport Partner ShipYourCarNow. Click Now!
JJ BEST BANC & CO, the leader in classic and collector car financing. Long terms, low rates, quick and easy approvals. J.J. Best offers financing for classic and collector vehicles from antique to modern. Let us help you drive your dream car today! Click or call 1-800-872-1965 to apply now! Click here
For the latest and most reliable Classic and Collectible Car prices, values, production numbers and local car clubs, always trust NADAguides.com. Get more info
Considering buying a new classic? Get a quote before you buy. Agreed value, lowest rates. Go with Grundy Insurance, www.Grundy.com or 888-647-8636 Get Quotes Now