1964 Ford Mustang Convertible
Convertible Car for sale in Beverly Hills, Michigan 48025
Given that the 21st century has seen a sort of return to the roots aspect for the Mustang, it was probably only a matter of time before the Boss 302 made a return. Over the last few years there's been steady and growing interest in the concept of a new-age Trans Am Special.
Jim Clarke led the charge with the creation of the 5.0 HO V8 for the Mustang in 1982 and was responsible for the continuous improvement of the 5.0 throughout the '80s. What Jim and his team accomplished is truly amazing.
Classic Car Overview
January 18, 2019
Body Style 2 Door Convertible Color - Poppy Red-Code 3 License Plate - 051575 Ml
Model - Mustang
V.I.N. 5F08D185450 Mileage-60,322
The following information details some of the equipment and the condition of this car. This listing is based on information obtained from an in-depth interview with the current vehicle owner and by a comprehensive in- person inspection of the vehicle. This will include, but is not limited to body and paint, mechanical and electrical components, trim parts and chassis maintenance.
Please note that although this appraiser spent considerable time inspecting the vehicle, and interviewing the owner, this listing is not a guarantee of every nut and bolt utilized in the build of this car. The car was not able to be on a lift but maintenance receipts were reviewed.
It should be noted that this vehicle has been well maintained since new. The listed owner has had the vehicle for 16+ years and has maintained it properly and has not spared any expense or time when the car needed any type of attention. While in his care, the car has always been garaged, has never been driven in winter weather or poor road conditions and has been "caught" in the rain one time. It maintains its original engine and transmission and a great majority of its original sheet metal. It is assumed that the rear differential assembly is original to the car. The car had been refinished prior to his purchase and the paint has held up well.
Wearable components have either been properly maintained, rebuilt or replaced. Some of the vehicle highlights are listed below.
Body and Trim
• Front Bumper: The original OEM chrome bumper with lower valance panel guards remains and is mounted with the original "born with" brackets.
• Grille: Original assembly.
• Grille Emblem: Original "Pony", properly mounted and in very good condition.
• Grille Moldings: Original pieces in very good condition.
• Grille Surround Panel: Original born with (and proper) piece painted body color.
Page 2 of 6
• Headlamp Bezels: Original born with pieces. These are the early versions that were beveled.
• Fenders: Original born with pieces, right and left.
• Fender Emblems: 289 engine call outs are mounted properly ahead of the wheels and the Pony emblems are proper at the rear of the wheel openings.
• Hood: Original born with piece. This is the "improved" hood vs. the older, unimproved stamping.
• Hood Front Nameplate: OEM FORD letters at the leading edge.
• Hood Hinges: Original born with assemblies, painted black which is proper.
• Hood Lock Support: Original born with assembly which incorporates the hood lock.
• Hood Lock Striker: Original born with piece.
• Radio Antenna: OEM assembly mounted on the right fender and in excellent condition.
• Fender Inner Wheelhouses and Shock Towers: Original born with metal, never rusted or rotted.
• Body Weatherstrips: Replaced in kit form, June 2004.
• Doors: OEM. Original to the car. Complete assemblies are OEM born with parts (with listed exceptions), including but not limited to the glass and the respective run channels , vent glass assemblies (frame and glass), exterior handles, lock rods, window crank handles, interior release handles, arm rests, door lock knobs, door lock cylinders and the upper and lower hinges.
• Door Belt Moldings: Original to the car.
• Door Side View Mirror: Non OEM replacement. Left side only.
• Door Glass Regulator: Right and left sides replaced in November 2006.
• Quarter Panels: Right side replaced at the belt line. Left side is the original born with panel.
• Upper Rear Body Pane l: Original born with panel.
• Rear Body Panel: Original born with panel.
• Trunk Lid: Original born with piece.
• Trunk Lid Hinges: Original born with, both right and left.
• Rear Valance Panel : Original born with metal.
• Outer Rocker Panels: OEM "born with" - right and left.
• Inner Rocker Panels: OEM "born with" - right and left.
• Passenger Compartment Floor Pan: Original born with piece.
• Trunk Floor Pan: Original to the car.
• Quarter Glass: Original glass, right and left.
• Quarter Glass Belt Moldings: Original pieces.
• Windshield: Original glass in good condit ion. No chips, cracks or wiper swipes.
• Windshield Frame Moldings: OEM pieces with very good fitment and in very good condition.
Page 3 of 6
• Windshield Wiper Arms: Original born with pieces, right and left. The left wiper blade is an aftermarket replacement.
• Windshield Washer Reservoir Bag: FOMOCO bag mounted to the left fender apron. The original washer fluid pump is mounted below the bag.
• Convertible Top: Replaced in 2003 and with the exception of a few holes from being folded/rubbed against the frame, the condition is very good.
• Back Glass: Replaced with a Kal Glas plastic piece in excellent condition with great clarity.
• Convertible Top Frame: Original assembly.
• Rear Surround Molding: OEM pieces in very good condition.
• Cowl Top Panel: Original born with piece.
• Radiator Support: Original born with piece with its original black finish.
• Front Inner Structure: Shock towers, inner fenders and front aprons are all original born with metal that has never been rusted or rotted. A very good solid structure.
• Rear Bumper: OEM piece mounted with the original brackets.
Wheels and Tires
Front Wheels: Original steel wheels
with wheel covers.
• Rear Wheels: Original steel wheels with wheel covers.
• Tires: Aquaflow Grand Spirit 205/70/14 white wall radials. The front tires measure at 6/32nds and are without an abnormal wear pattern. The rear tires measure at 9/32nds.
Engine and Transmission
• Engine: Original 289 cubic inch, 210 horsepower V8 with 9.0:1 compression. The engine was very quiet and smoke free during a cold start and ran smoothly during the test drive.
• Cylinder Heads: Original born with castings.
• Intake Manifold: Original single 4 bbl cast iron manifold.
• Starter: New replacement in May 2018.
• Ignition: Original style (breaker points and condenser) replacement distributer installed in May 2006. The ignition coil and spark plugs were also replaced during this service.
• Carburetor: Single 4bbl replacement from National Carbs. It has been serviced to maintain proper operation including a rebuild in May 2006.
page 4 of 6
• Exhaust: Original cast iron exhaust manifolds with single exhaust.
• Valve Covers: Original stampings, painted gold.
• Air Cleaner: Aftermarket open element style with a chrome lid.
• Radial or: Replaced in May 2006.
• Oil Pressure Sending Unit: Replaced.
• Upper Radiator Hose: FOMOCO bran d. Replaced in May 2006.
• Lower Radiator Hose: FOMOCO brand. Replaced in May 2006
• Heater Hoses: Replaced in May 2006.
• Water Pump: Replaced in May 2006. Painted engine color.
• Thermostat Housing: Replaced in May 2006. A new thermostat was also installed.
• Power Steering Pump: Replaced in January 2006. Both power steering hoses were replaced at this time.
• Transmission: Original 3 speed automatic.
• Transmission Shifter: Original born with floor mounted assembly.
• Transmission Service: Invoices documenting filter and fluid changes are available.
• Driveshaft Universal Joints: Replaced in December 2004.
Suspension and Steering
• Master Cylinder: Original non power assisted single reservoir unit. Noted to be an early production piece with the proper pressure switch.
• Steering Box: Original to the car.
• Control Arms: Original to the car. New bushings installed in 2006.
• Ball Joints: Uppers and lowers all replaced in December 2004.
• Coil Springs: Original born with units. The ride height is proper. New bushings were installed in 2006.
• Idler Arm: Replaced in May 2003.
• Shock Absorbers: All 4 were replaced in December 2004.
• Front Sway Bar Bushings: Replaced in May 2006.
• Rear Leaf Springs: Replaced in May 2006.
• Rear Spring Shackles: Replaced in May 2006.
• Rear Leaf Spring Mount Plates: Replaced in May 2006 along with the leaf springs and shackles
page 5 of 6
• *Full black interior.
• Front Seats: Original born with bucket seat frames. New TMI brand Deluxe "Pony" upholstery installed in 2003. The cushions were hand fabricated at the time and all have been properly installed. There are no wrinkles, sags or loose areas. The upholstery is in very good condition and does not show signs of wear. The front seat back material was also replaced.
• Front Seat Tracks: Replaced in 2004.
• Rear Seat: New "Pony" upholstery installed on OEM frames. The seat cushions were replaced as well. This work was completed at the same time as the front seats.
• Dashboard and Instrument Panel Assembly: Complete original dash assembly, including the dash pad. All gauges and heater controls are proper. The fuel gauge flanks the left side of the speedometer and the engine temperature gauge flanks the right side.
• Instrument Panel Gauge Bezel: Replaced in December 2004.
• Steering Wheel: Original born with piece in good condition.
• Door Trim Panels: Replaced with quality reproduction pieces in 2004.
• Door Handles: Interior - Both the door handles are the original born with pieces and are considered the early clip on versions.
• Door Window Crank Handles: All (quantity of 4) are the original born with pieces.
• Door Sill Plat es: OEM pieces, right and left.
• Front Kick Panels: Original pieces now housing stereo speakers.
• Quarter Side Glass: The regulator "rollers" have been replaced on the right side.
• Quarter Panel Interior Trim Panels: OEM pieces.
• Carpeting: New replacement in 2004 that shows some transmission tunnel flat surface fading.
• Seat Belts: OEM pieces front and rear. All are dated 7/65.
• Radio: An aftermarket stereo cassette unit is installed in the factory location and without dashboard modification.
• Generator: Original born with unit.
• Wire harness: Original born with harness, front to rear.
• Horns: Original born with, early production.
• Reverse Lamps: Original assemblies mounted in the lower valance panel.
• Tail Lamps: Original born with assemblies.
page 6 of 6
This 1965 Ford Mustang Convertible is well maintained survivor. The current owner has many receipts for service, maintenance, and component restoration. The vehicle runs and drives without issues and is in this appraiser's opinion, a fantastic cruise night or cars and coffee car. The car has never been modified for any mechanical upgrades and maintains its factory appearance. At some point prior to the current owner’s purchase, the body had any rust issues solved and the vehicle received a full repaint in the original color. The car does not show signs of a prior collision history. The front inner structure, which is famous for rust and rot, is exceptionally solid. The listed mileage is believed to be original. The quality of workmanship completed for the body and paint along with the mechanicals that are noted by the invoices and receipts is better than average.
Some fast facts about "64 ½" Mustangs.
1965 Mustangs started production in March 1964. This is much earlier than the "normal" start for next model year production in August. Cars built prior to August 1964 are considered early production cars and cars produced starting in August 1964 (the 17th day to be specific) are considered late production cars. No matter an early or late production, all the cars were given a 1965 V.I.N. and sold as 1965 models. It is the enthusiast crowd that coined the 64 ½ phrase. Pony Interior was officially called Interior Decor Group by Ford. Early cars had generators rather than alternators and the horns were mounted within the engine compartment. Later cars had the horns mounted to the front side of the radiator support and are visible through the grille. The door handles and window crank handles differed between an early and late car. The early cars had clip on handles whereas later cars had bolted handles. The 289 fender badge over a Vis the same exact emblem used on the 1964 Fairlane. Black seat belts were standard issue along with a glove box lamp and a padded dash. Of the 121,538 early production cars, 28,833 were convertible models. The aforementioned is just a few of the known differences between an early and "late" production car.
For the last 16 years and for the time prior, the car has obviously been well cared for, properly stored in the off season, adult driven, is a great survivor and as previously mentioned, retains a great majority of its factory sheet metal. Factory sheet metal cars have become quite desirable in the collector world. This combined with the documentation for service, winter storage and the fact that the car drives extremely well, all play a role in not only the desirability of the vehicle, but the value as well. The color combination is one of the more popular and research has shown that early cars seem to have a slightly higher market value. In my opinion, this vehicle has an appraised value of $33,000 (thirty-three thousand dollars).
License #'s 919719 & 963029
Classic Car ID101394711
Transmission3 Speed Automatic
Classic Car Buyer's Tools
Immediately receive a quote to get your new classic car delivered right to your driveway from Autotrader’s trusted Classic Transport Partner ShipYourCarNow. Click Now!
JJ BEST BANC & CO, the leader in classic and collector car financing. Long terms, low rates, quick and easy approvals. J.J. Best offers financing for classic and collector vehicles from antique to modern. Let us help you drive your dream car today! Click or call 1-800-872-1965 to apply now! Click here
For the latest and most reliable Classic and Collectible Car prices, values, production numbers and local car clubs, always trust NADAguides.com. Get more info
Considering buying a new classic? Get a quote before you buy. Agreed value, lowest rates. Go with Grundy Insurance, www.Grundy.com or 888-647-8636 Get Quotes Now