Saint Louis, MO
When Jaguar unveiled the XK150 in 1957 it marked the most significant evolution of the legendary XK series since the XK120 first appeared in 1948. In mechanical terms the new 150 was very similar to the outgoing 140 with independent front suspension Salisbury rear axle and rack and pinion steering. New for the 150 however was the fitment of Dunlop four-wheel disc brakes which had been pioneered by the C-Type and perfected on the D-Type at Le Mans. The most significant changes were to the styling with a taller and wider body to allow for a roomier cockpit and give a fresh look heading into the 1960s. In keeping with tradition the XK150 was available as an open two-seat roadster drophead coupe or closed fixed-head coupe. Power continued to come from the 3.4-liter version of the XK twin-cam inline six fitted with twin S.U. carburetors in standard form.At first it seemed that the XK150 got off to a rough start. A factory fire in February 1957 delayed production and the marginally heavier coachwork made the standard models slightly slower than the XK140 thereby disappointing buyers. However Jaguar quickly responded by adding the Special Equipment package which added twenty horsepower to the base model. That was followed by the optional S package of 1958 with a trio of 2-inch SU carbs and a straight-port cylinder head to bump output to a very healthy 250 horsepower. Only the last of the line 3.8-liter S would make more power. Buyers responded well to the modernized styling as well as the improved comfort and performance particularly from the S.E. and S models. Sales were up slightly over the XK140. Ultimately the XK150 proved to be an excellent swansong to the legendary XK line setting the stage for the arrival of Jaguar s next sensational sports car the E-Type.We are delighted to offer this truly outstanding freshly restored 1958 Jaguar XK150 S OTS roadster. This Jaguar is a documented factory built XK150 S first delivered via a dealer in Atlanta Georgia. It is finished as original in white over a red interior and black hood and highly optioned from new in S specification which included triple SU carburetors and a specially-developed cylinder head. Backing the 3.4-liter engine was a four-speed manual gearbox with Laycock de Normanville overdrive. Standard equipment included leather trim Smiths heater chrome wire wheels and new for the OTS roll-up side windows (replacing the XK120 and 140 s removable side curtains).The first owner was Robert West of Athens Georgia. Early in the car s life someone (believed to be Mr. West) drove the XK150 from Georgia to Detroit Michigan. While in Detroit the original engine was damaged and the car subsequently parked up in a gas station. The second owner acquired the Jaguar in the early 1970s putting it in his garage in hopes of returning it to the road. It seems that never happened as in the early 2000s this car was discovered still in remarkably original and unrestored condition by brothers Gary and Jim Kakuska of JK Restorations in Oswego IL. Gary and Jim are highly respected Jaguar specialists and they bought the car with the idea of restoring it for themselves but ultimately sold it to one of their best clients who then entrusted them with the comprehensive nut-and-bolt restoration.As they began disassembly Gary and Jim noted that the car showed approximately 2000 miles on the odometer. Closer inspection of the body interior and drivetrain revealed this was very likely the original mileage as the car was found to be remarkably intact beneath the years of dust that had accumulated while in storage. As a result JK was able to restore and reuse a tremendous amount of the original components and fittings.The restoration was completed in approximately 2015 and it presents in stunning condition in crisp white over red displaying outstanding body fit and alignment. Remarkably it is reported that every panel on the car is original with only some very minor repairs required to correct some light corrosion. Paint quality is exquisite as well and the car sits on beautiful chrome Dunlop wire wheels with blackwall Vredestein radial tires. The bumpers lights grille and trim are original to this car and restored to a high standard.The cockpit has been refurbished to the same specification as it was first delivered; with red Connolly hides and matching Wilton wool carpets all presented in beautiful condition. The leather seats remain taut and show virtually no use since being restored. The factory switchgear and instruments were painstakingly rebuilt to retain originality. Black Haartz canvas is fitted to the top as per factory spec and the boot has been refurbished with correct Hardura lining. The factory-supplied jack grease gun ratcheting jack handle and toolkit is included.JK Restorations meticulously rebuilt every component of this car making subtle improvements when necessary in the name of longevity and reliability. A 3.8-liter block replaces the original 3.4-liter unit topped with the original cylinder head and triple-SU carb setup. The engine is backed with a modern all-synchro 5-speed Tremec gearbox. The original rear differential was rebuilt with new clutch packs and the factory 4.09:1 ratio retained so the car s road manners remain very authentic while allowing for effortless shifting and proven reliability. It should be noted that the original matching-numbers block gearbox and overdrive unit are available (and said to be easily repairable) and will be included in the sale. Brake calipers and cylinders were fully restored and sleeved in stainless to prevent corrosion. The Kakuskas painstakingly restored the electrical system retaining the original major components while updating some items such as LED tail lights and a roller bearing distributor. The undercarriage is a finely detailed as the engine bay revealing the level of care that went into this project.With its meticulous restoration by highly respected marque experts this is a genuinely exquisite XK150 S in highly desirable original specification. A host of carefully judged and executed improvements make it ideally suited for regular enjoyment on tours and rallies while remaining beautiful enough for the show field.