Classic Car Overview
Fully restored by G&W Motorwerks to original specification Large collection of detailed restoration receipts Matching numbers engine and transmission per Porsche Certificate of Authenticity Complete set of authentic Rudge wheels Has copy of original invoice, tools, spares kit, spare wheel/tire, and jack The final year of Speedster production Created and built on the vision by one of Americas most prolific importers Max Hoffman, the Porsche 356 Speedster filled a void that the clever automotive industrialist thought was lacking: a lightweight, few frills, open top sports car. His intuition, like many other times, proved to be correct and the Speedster was a resounding success. Finding iconic owners such as Steve McQueen saw the Speedsters popularity shoot into the stratosphere, and today these low-slung 356s are some of the most sought-after variants built by Porsche. This 1958 Porsche 356A Speedster was completed at the Porsche factory in Stuttgart-Zuffenhausen on December 6th, 1957 per the Porsche Classic Certification. Destined for the shores of the US, it was optioned in Silver Metallic paint with a red interior along with U.S.-specific equipment. It was imported and then sent to Marshall Motors, Inc. of Miami, Florida. It didnt take long for the no-frills Speedster to sell, with airline pilot Stillman Bell purchasing the car on March 24th, 1958 for a cool $3,143.04 per the copy of the vehicles original invoice. You can imagine that a pilot used to the speeds provided by his Douglas DC-4 aircraft would need his other transportation on the ground to provide a similar feeling of speed. With its open top and raked windshield along with its powerful 1,600cc engine pushing very little weight around, the Speedster was known as a cornering machine. Stillman owned the 356 for a few years before the car was reportedly sold to Podney Nowakowski in April of 1962. By 1982 the Speedster had found its way to another Florida enthusiast, John McCoulloch of Naples, Florida. By this time the 356 had been driven and enjoyed for quite a few miles, with the copy of the original title reporting 97,529 miles as of November 7th, 1983. John kept the car for 8 years, upon which William P. Blincoe III purchased it from him on September 6th, 1990. William and his wife Nancy decided that the Speedster should be restored, and saw that the Porsche went through an extensive and comprehensive restoration spanning more than 2 years. William and Nancy approached G&W Motorwerks, a restoration outfit located in Waynesboro, Virginia. The understanding was that the Speedster was to be restored in the most spectacular fashion, disregarding all cost in the pursuit of the ultimate restored example. With its restoration finished in 1994, the results were and still are exemplary. With a large binder of restoration receipts that have followed the car since the completion, it is easy to understand why the quality of this particular Speedster is second to none. Between its concours-level paint work to the period-correct materials and finishes, along everything else that accompanies an award-winning restoration, a project like this today would represent a restoration in the range of $350,000 to a $500,000. It cannot be said enough about the quality of this 356 Speedster and how it has been preserved for the past 26 years. During William and Nancys ownership, the Speedster found its way to a number of different concours events, always trailered as to preserve its restoration. In 1994, fresh after the Speedster had completed its restoration, the couple took the Porsche to the annual Porsche Parade at Lake Placid. During judging among the field of other entrants, the Speedster received a total of 288.8 points, just 1.6 points shy of being the Best-of-Show winner. With their restoration justified after such a fantastic result on their first entry, William and Nancy took their pride and joy back to their home in Atlanta, Georgia. After some time, the Speedster found a new owner who was based in New York who kept the car in his well-curated collection. Intent on keeping the car pristine just as William and Nancy had done, the Porsche remained in his garage and was only driven to shows or trailered. Authentic Rudge wheels were added to the Porsche at some point during its lifetime, adding a subtle-yet-stylish upgrade to the usual 5-bolt wheels. After a decade with this owner, the Speedster made its way to a European collector who then subsequently sold it to its most recent owner in Southern California. After a year and a half of owning the Speedster, the owner spoke with Bruce Canepa about if Canepa was interested in his car. Always seeking the highest quality cars, Bruce said that it was exactly the kind of Speedster that belongs at Canepa, and shortly afterwards the Porsche arrived. Each and every collector car that comes to Canepa is put through and extensive and diligent process called the Canepa Difference. This includes a major and comprehensive mechanical inspection where all systems are checked and serviced as necessary. They also receive an award-winning concours-level detailing, a thorough cleaning of each and every surface that ensures that every car is a sight to behold. Finishing off with a foam-pad-only polish to enhance the paint finish, each and every car is a perfect example and a personification of Bruce Canepas impeccable attention to detail. This Speedster now is the definition of stunning, with its fantastic restoration, authentic Rudge wheels, and with a clean bill of mechanical and cosmetic health, its ready for its next owner to drive and enjoy.