1917 Packard Twin 6 2-25 Series Touring For consignment a 1917 Packard Twin 6 2-25 Series Touring. One fine automobile in very good condition, we have in our midst chassis 126726 whos original owner was a GE employee Martin P Rice of Schenectady, NY. Mr Rice would keep the car for 7 years eventually selling it to James Tiffany of Delanson, NY. Mr Tiffany owned the car until 1970. It then went through the hands of a few other owners and eventually into a collection of a gentleman named Howard Schevitz who lovingly restored the car to its current condition. A big car, with big lines and a big engine....exactly what the doctor, er...ummm...the GE employee ordered. Exterior One of Packards features is the exceptional coachwork all performed in house. Pulling from what was seemingly an unlimited pool of in house craftsmen, and today this talent is on display within this car. Right down to the Warner Lenz headlight bezels which are works of art in themselves. This body which sits upon the 2-25 original chassis, has 4 doors, a long cowled hood, beautifully curved exterior fenders and running boards and a convertible top which is all excellently restored canvas and in black. The body is near flawless, bathed in Packard Blue, and the fenders and hood are contrasting and tasteful black. All of the paint is miles deep and the gaps remain like they were from the factory. Fine details like the radiator cap, with its twin 6 numerals, and new for 1917 smaller 35-inch wheels make the car lower to the ground than the previous launch year. These wheels are expertly crafted from wood, and have a steel cast center hub with the Packard badged center chromed hub cover. Even the spokes alternate in styling and pin striping a tribute to the attention to detail present in this example. Surprisingly chromed and polished adornments are kept to a very tasteful minimum, showing up only on the radiator cap, side view mirror and the dual windshield frame which can be tilted out. The door handles are very special as well and provide easy access to the passenger compartment. On the back, a single tail light and two spare tires reside off the rear of the passenger tub. A lack of chromed bumpers is also interesting and evident. Interior A swing of the heavily leather clad and exceptionally padded doors allows us access to the well appointed passenger compartment with its ability to seat 7 comfortably. Dual larger black leather benches accept the passengers on wide tuck and roll curved back styled seats. For the driver, a large wood steering wheel is reaching for his or her hands, and has all controls on the actual wheel. Its a process to start her but getting through it is well worth the effort. Interestingly, the dash is devoid of any gauges, just blue painted steel. In front of the passenger are a dual stacked cluster of a clock and the speedometer actually mounted under the dash. The shift lever and handbrake are to the drivers left and mounted next to the drivers door. Down below, the flooring is made up of nearly perfect rubber panels with chromed edging. Entering the car from the rear doors we are introduced to two jump seats with the ability to fold in and down to the floor, offering the rear curved tuck and rolled bench passengers to have plenty of legroom. The convertible top is open to the elements so this should be considered a fair weather car. Drivetrain Under the black painted cowled hood we see the heartbeat of the car in its twin 6 cylinder, (V12), configuration. This too is beautifully preserved and runs like a Swiss watch. It weighs in at 424.1 cubic inches and produces 88hp. It has a 1 barrel carburetor and 3 speed manual transmission on back with 4.35 rear axle turning the rear tires. All very nicely preserved, down to the cups on top of each cylinder head. Undercarriage Retaining the original chassis and suspension shows a testament as to exactly how well made these fine automobiles were constructed. This chassis shows some light surface rust and plenty of patina but remains structurally solid. The bottoms of floorboards and running boards are nicely preserved and all solid as well. The car has rear only mechanical drum brakes, and leaf sprung suspension both fore and aft. Drive-Ability The engines smoothness and tractability left automotive journalists grasping at superlatives. A writer for The Automobile raved that the car would accelerate smoothly from 3 miles per hour in top gear. A journalist who caught a ride with American soldiers in their pursuit of Mexican revolutionary Pancho Villa related that, it was like riding on velvet when those big Packards laid back their ears and breezed along as though their only ambition was to catch up with the horizon. My experience was just as pleasurable with the car running very smoothly and all in working condition. Just a wonderful example of automotive history, all nicely preserved and in fine running order and unbelievably 106 years young. Time to see how the other half lived. Go ahead make your day! Classic Auto Mall is a 336,000-square foot classic and special interest automobile showroom, featuring over 850 vehicles for sale with showroom space for up to 1,000 vehicles. Also, a 400 vehicle barn find collection is on display. This vehicle is located in our showroom in Morgantown, Pennsylvania, conveniently located just 1-hour west of Philadelphia on the I-76 Pennsylvania Turnpike. The website is www.classicautomall.com and our phone number is (888) 227-0914. Please contact us anytime for more information or to come see the vehicle in person.